Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Advice to Timothy from the worst of sinners

So I went ahead and highlighted the parts of I Timothy 1 I want to talk about......

Timothy my true son....command certain people not to teach false doctrines..... they want to be teachers of the law, but they do not know what they are talking about or what they so confidently affirm... the law is made for those practicing homosexuality, for slave traders and liars.

I was once a blasphemer and a persecutor and a violent man Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners—of whom I am the worst. 16 But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life.

Timothy, my son, fight the battle well.

I have a son named Timothy, too. And besides my adopted son Tim, I have a kind of "son in the faith" named Timothy, a former roommate and fellow journalist whom I pointed to Christ lo these many years ago. I am grateful to God that both of these Tims are trophies of God's grace and deliverance, as am I. There is a quaint saying, "there but for the grace of God go I." This is truer than I will ever know this side of eternity.

Gotta wonder what those good Christian slave traders in the 18th and 19th centuries thought when they read a scripture comparing them to homosexuals and liars. No doubt in the spirit of the Pharisee they said, "he must be talking about UNRIGHTEOUS slave traders."

Paul really threw young, timid Timothy into the deep water. He is told to "command" the self-righteous confident Judaizers in the church to cease and desist. Wonder how that worked out for him. Clearly Paul knew that Timothy knew what he needed to know, he just lacked the necessary vim. One thing I am learning in the gym - sometimes I have to just go out and "just do it" even when it's way out of my comfort zone, and when frankly I don't think I can do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment