Wednesday, November 30, 2011

I Peter 3: suffering for God's glory vs. "Save Yourself"

Don't get me wrong, I believe Scripture teaches God's plan for marriage is for husbands to lead and serve and for wives to follow and support. But I don't think that's exactly what Peter means when he says, "wives, likewise, be submissive to your own husbands, that even if some do not obey the word, they, without a word, may be won by the conduct of their wives."

If I want to be "like wise" bible students, I must understand to whom "likewise" refers: "Christ also suffered for us, leaving us an example, that you should follow in his steps...who when he was reviled, did not revile in return" (1:21).

Peter plays the "suffer trials for God's glory" song like a broken record. So far I count at least six references to obedience amid suffering; three by Christ for our redemption and example, and three by us for other's redemption and example, and all of it for the glory of God. I may not be the driest match in the box but I see that once again the Suffering Servant leads the way.....

My favorite passage is 2:18, "For Christ also suffered once for sins, the just for the unjust, that he might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh but made alive by the Spirit." What heart can love Jesus and still protect its own rights above the needs of wife, the poor, the lost? Through mocking soldiers and Pharisees the Enemy screamed at Jesus, "Save Yourself." To this day the Enemy screams at me and my brothers and sisters, "Save Yourself." War, 401Ks, abortions, lies, fear, alcohol, trophy wives, and trophy wife divorces, the whole fearful, shallow, sordid mix, it's all the same infernal call: "Save Yourself."

But for his Father's eternal glory and mankind's redemption he calls me to lose myself in Christ and his-

Kingdom Beauty - "let it be the hidden person of the heart"

Kingdom Courage - the daughters of Abraham and Sarah "do good and are not afraid with any terror"

Kingdom Life - husbands and wives "being heirs together of the grace of life"

Kingdom Integrity - "he would would love life and see good days, let him refrain his tongue from evil, and his lips from speaking deceit"

And, Kingdom Peace -"let him seek peace and pursue it"

There is only one Savior from the penalty, power, and presence of sin. And I'm not that Suffering Servant. Not my job. Ahhhh. I can rest now.

No comments:

Post a Comment