Sunday, August 21, 2011

II Cor 8 - The Apostle Paul knew NOTHING about having to pay for college

So it is Sunday morning, August 21, and I am meeting with my spiritual advisor, the Apostle Paul. As usual, I am doing most of the talking:

Guy: “Joe and I got back late last night from an intensive two day road trip visiting my (our? - can I still say that?) oldest son Tim in New Jersey. We took the same route Diane and I took on our adoption travels to Philadelphia, four or five trips in all, and we went through Lake George/Glens Falls, where she was from and where we often vacationed. [Sigh.] Bittersweet doesn't begin to cover it. Talk about transitions - it wasn't long ago that Joe was the happy little bundle of hope in the carseat in the back, coming home for the first time. This weekend he was still a happy bundle of hope, but sitting beside me in the front seat, getting ready to leave home for the first time. He’s going off to college this week.”

Paul: “Guy, you are blessed with three godly children, and with the provision for them. Now then – just as you excel in everything – in faith, in speech, in knowledge, in complete earnestness and in your love for us – see that you also excel in this grace of giving.”

Guy: “Laying it on pretty thick, aren’t you Paul – both the flattery and the guilt? Didn’t you hear what I just said about college? Do you have any idea how much it costs every month to send someone to St. Michael’s College?”

Paul: “I met St. Michael once, when I was caught up into the third heaven. A worthy warrior and messenger of the Almighty! By His grace may Joe benefit from his protection and learn from his example. But as for you, Guy, remember my account of the Macedonian churches. Out of the most severe trial, their overflowing joy and their extreme poverty welled up in rich generosity. They gave as much as they were able, and even beyond their ability. Entirely on their own, they urgently pleaded with us for the privilege of sharing in this service to the saints.”

Guy: “But – Paul – how can I do this?”

Paul: “You can start by doing what the Macedonians did – they gave themselves first to the Lord and then to us in keeping with God’s will. Guy, I am not commanding you. I want to test the sincerity of your love by comparing it with the earnestness of others. For you know – I read about how very much you know in your blog all the time! – the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, that though he was rich, yet for your sakes he became poor, so that you through his poverty might become rich.”

Guy: “You’re asking a lot, Paul. Maybe more than any man has a right to ask another.”

Paul: “Not just “any man” is asking you, Guy. It is he who said, ‘If “any man” would be my disciple, let him take up his cross, and follow me.’”






No comments:

Post a Comment