Saturday, December 3, 2011

I Peter 5: Humble yourselves under God's mighty hand

"All of you, clothe yourselves with humility toward one another, because, “God opposes the proud but shows favor to the humble.” Humble yourselves, therefore, under God’s mighty hand, that he may lift you up in due time. Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you."

I have been thinking about why I love the music of Fernando Ortega so much. It isn't that he sings almost as well as Andreas Bocelli (although he does). Or that his melodies and chords are as moving and original as James Taylor's (although they are). I love his songs because the man is humble. I've heard him being interviewed on Christian radio. There's no faking it. In person and in song he sounds like a man who understands with his heart that "from Him and through Him and to Him are all things" and that to selfishly yearn for human glory and praise is in the fallen spirit of the archangel who said "I will exalt myself over the Most High".

I doubt Brother Fernando was just born that way. I'm sure he has been humbled under God's mighty hands many times. The firm hand on the shoulder of a father saying, "hold on there, son." Myself, I'm trying to learn how to hear the voice and not squirm away from that hand, which is usually trying to keep me from pursuing my urgent agenda of running off a cliff.

No comments:

Post a Comment