Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Mark 6 - Homeboys From Nazareth


 

Phineas and Ichabod, two guys from Nazareth, tag along behind Jesus after his underwhelming visit to his hometown. They've been sent by the elders to watch and report back if he does or says anything (else) that would seem to elevate himself above his former neighbors. Standing on the shore of the sea of Galilee, they see him walking on water.

Amazing," Phineas says.

"I know what you mean," says Ichabod. "Big talker in the synagogue, but he can't even swim."
 
* * * * * * * *
 
I laugh at the clueless homeboys, but as always there is plenty of caution and encouragement for me. Caution: do I hold people back from growing into their divinely ordained calling and potential due to envy, disbelief, a critical spirit, pride or my selfish claims on them? Do my children know, really know, Dad believes they can soar with wings of eagles?

Encouragement: if Jesus could escape the false identities imposed on him by others, so can I. I am who God says I am, and will be who God says I will be. The truth makes me free.

No comments:

Post a Comment