Monday, September 19, 2011

Colossians 1: one of my favorite verses.......

....is vs. 13 - "For He has rescued us from the dominion of darkness and brought us into the kingdom of the Son He loves, in who we have redemption, the forgiveness of sins."

Years ago I was hiking through the section of the Long Trail called Devil's Gulch. It was pitch black. My flash light was dead. The trail was one boulder after another. I was in the "dominion of darkness" and oh, what a relief when I finally made it to the lodge and saw the light of someone's lantern. I was saved!

I once was blind, but now I see......

....that Life was the light of men, and the darkness has not overcome it......

Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet, Lord. Without your daily light I am back in Devil's Gulch, stumbling around and twisting my ankle.

How amazing it is to me that just a couple decades after leaving this earthly life, Jesus of Nazareth was being described by those monotheistic Jews who knew him, or knew people who knew him, with the following terms:

.....by Him all things were created

He is before all things

In Him all things hold together

He is the Head of the body

God was pleased to have all his fullness dwell within him

He is the image of the invisible God

The firstborn over all creation

Who ELSE gets stuff like that said about them? Two decades after he's gone? With no movies, newspapers or Twitter? And people believe it and are willing to die rather than deny it, and wash the feet of the infectious sick in His name?



He musta been some kinda guy.

No comments:

Post a Comment