Monday, September 5, 2011

Three things I like about Ephesians 1

Quite a city, Ephesus. Crossroads of trade. Emporium to the empire. One of the Fab Five of major imperial cities, with Rome, Corinth, Antioch, and Alexandria.

Three things I like about Ephesians Chapter One:

1) Having believed, I've been marked with a seal, the promised Holy Spirit, who is a deposit guaranteeing my inheritance. All that love, joy, encouragement, understanding - it's just an appetizer. The way the bread and the wine I ate at church yesterday was just an appetizer of the Great Banquet.

So it seems I have a lot to look forward to!

2) God bats last. If I'm down 10 runs in the fifth inning and just twisted my ankle tripping over second base - so what? Christ is seated above all rule and authority in this life and the next. With God batting last, my team will win. Until then he will help me and my teammates gut it out, whether we're ahead or behind.

3) Whooda thunkit that today no-one can name the five biggest cities of the Roman Empire, but almost everyone has heard of Jesus?

No comments:

Post a Comment