Saturday, September 10, 2011

Ephesians 5: Three-Step Mold Removal – Sunlight, Scraper, Copper


As a roofer, I know that mold grows in the darkness. It also bears no fruit. Left unexposed to the sunlight it just grows and grows, corroding the true material beneath and protecting itself from its enemy, light, with layer upon layer of corruption.

So Job One is to expose it to the light, by cutting back overhanging branches. And then comes the scraping, and that is nasty work. How well I remember the Morristown golf resort hotel roof on Rte. 100, 2000 square feet of it, on my hands and knees with shovel and scraper in the hot summer sun. And the killer is that no matter how hard you scrape, you can never get it all, and will destroy some of the roof in the process.

What really works is the constant cleansing of a downhill flow of a one-of-a-kind liquid. So I went to the peak of the roof, get out my hammer and nails, and nail in some strips of copper. And the rain slowly dissolves it, and the coppery liquid flows down, and destroys the fruitless corruption. Only then will the roof be clean.

What can wash away my sin
Nothing but the blood of Jesus
What can make me whole within
Nothing but the blood of Jesus
O precious is the flow
That washes white as snow
No other  fount  I know
Nothing but the blood of Jesus

"Nothing But The Blood Of Jesus" was written by 19th century Baptist preacher Robert Lowry, who also wrote “Christ Arose!” and “Shall We Gather At The River?”

And I cannot stop writing without commenting on 5:25, “Husbands love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her.” During my lengthy single life, I heard this verse preached over and over and over again until somehow it imprinted itself on my psyche, and I am glad it did because despite all my husbandly failings I never lost sight of the battle standard and rallied to it in crisis. Just one more act of grace for which to be thankful to You, Lord.


No comments:

Post a Comment